Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Overtraining and Personal Gearing

A concept I have had a difficult task with corroborating with my own personal training plan is over-training. The idea that running 'one more mile for the gipper' can be more harmful than good runs contrary to my personal philosophy of hard work will eventually get you where you want to be.

As a middle aged running newbie, the difference between a substantial workout and an excessive workout is probably not very much. It could be a mile or two for a person in my condition and age. I would submit I have a small window with respect to an appropriate training program intensity.

I also need to remember what constitutes over-training for myself could be a day at the park for another person. On the flip side of the coin, my current training plan could be overtraining for others. The challenge is to keep your training focus on a regimen which falls within the boundaries of a reasonable plan for yourself.

After weeks of limping around on one leg, my leg has finally healed where my stride is normal once again. After running today, I realized I was essentially running with one leg for the last three weeks as I was not able to 'lead' with my right leg during my running. I would lead with my left leg and let gravity pull my right leg through my stride in a pendulum fashion and plant it for the next stride.


Excerpted from a Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront marathon email I receive on a weekly basis.
They don't call it long, slow distance (LSD) training for nothing. Every weekend, the main training objective is to run or walk S-L-O-W-L-Y and comfortably. So slowly in fact, that able to hold a conversation. We call this the talk test.

The purpose of the endurance workout is to build an aerobic base and time on your feet. To do this effectively you need to train in the right zone. Like gears on a car, if you use the wrong gear at the wrong time it will cause wear and tear on the car. It is no different in training.

If you train at too hard an intensity on the long workouts, you are simulating racing every week and your times will actually decrease and performance drop due to fatigue.

When you train long and slowly at a comfortable pace, you build endurance, FAT burning enzymes and develop strength by spending time on your feet.

If you use a heart rate monitor, keep it at an effort between 65-75% of your maximum heart rate. Expect your heart rate to gradually creep during the long workouts due to fatigue and dehydration.

Don't slow your pace in the later miles/kilometers with the creep, but keep the pace the same. For example, If you run at 10:30 per mile pace and your heart rate is at 70% keep it at that pace throughout, even though your heart rate will creep up slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment