Monday, June 22, 2009

We Have a Winner

I ran the CMN Chocolate Miracle 5K run this past Saturday in the rain. I slept in until 7:00 AM as the race was scheduled to start at 8:00 AM. I rested the previous two days so I felt I had a sufficient energy reservoir for the race.

The packet pickup was organized very well. One issue with the management of the race was the bullhorn was not working in the rain. The race organizers made a fair amount of announcements which were not audible to anyone except those standing in the front row.

The course had four distinct parts each of them roughly equal in length. The first quarter was downhill followed by an uphill section. The middle part of the course featured a turnaround on West Chocolate Avenue. At a turnaround someone is standing on the road and you reverse your direction by running around them. The third quarter was the reverse of the 2nd quarter, so this was primarily downhill. The last quarter, being the reverse of the first quarter was a long uphill sloping trek.

For whatever reason, I ran my worst 5K to date. I did not have any kick at the end of the race. I don't know whether to attribute this to running uphill or if I had nothing left in the tank. Probably was a combination of both. I usually take a mile to warm up, start to feel fluid in the 2nd mile and coast or auto pilot the 3rd mile. I never got warmed up during the second mile.

The only person I knew at the race was Stacy Teets. Her husband Jon and I played in the same fantasy football league, Chocolate Covered Football, for several years.

After the race there was a raffle for prizes. Much to my surprise I won a $10 gift certificate to the Red Robin restaurant. We decided we would celebrate Father's day by having a meal at the Red Robin restaurant on Monday June 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment