Thursday, June 4, 2009

Finding Your Physical Limitations


I have been reading running magazines for several months now and in many cases elite runners are profiled. A common theme with many of the runners is losing a fair amount of training time due to a regimen which exceeded what their bodies could handle.

Running has turned into somewhat of an addiction for me. The more I run the better I get and the more I want to run. Unfortunately I try to add too much to my regimen too quickly. After I ran 10 miles almost two weeks ago I have been sidelined with a nagging injury ever since. I have run one day in the last ten days in an effort to heal more quickly. I also started taking the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug Alleve, but even that is not working too well. Maybe I'll try Ibuprofen.

The 10K race next Sunday is fast approaching and I have not logged very many training miles recently. I may need to skip this race if I don't heal quickly. I tried to run today but felt too much pain when I bore weight on my right leg.

Trying to extend your physical limits through training is an eggshell dance where you need to go further than you have before but not too far, lest you break down. More is not always better.

No comments:

Post a Comment