Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Race Entry Withdrawal

Since I have been sidelined from running for an extended period of time beginning Memorial Day, I will not be sufficiently trained to complete a 1/2 marathon. I am going to forgo the Stratton Fairfield CT race on June 28th. In addition to not being sufficiently trained, we really do not have the cash funding available for this trip.

I tried walking a 1/4 mile at the PHS track yesterday in an attempt to warm up a bit before I ran. I then tried to run with a normal stride, but there is a muscle high up on the front of my right leg responsible for lifting the leg up that feels like it had been severed.

The most frustrating part of the slow healing process is watching time fly by where you are not improving your running skills. If I were already in shape, a few delays would be more acceptable. As I have a long road to travel before I am fit, I need all the time I can get to dedicate to this pursuit.

I am still planning to run the 10K on Sunday in New York, but the prospect of skipping this race is increasingly becoming more likely. An old coaching adage is if you don't practice the week of the event, you don't play. I'm not very comfortable with sitting on my duff all week and then trying to run a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment