Friday, June 19, 2009

Running mini 'Super Bowl' next week

The 1/2 marathon race next Sunday in Fairfield Connecticut is scheduled to have over 3000 runners entered. From my experience with having 1000 runners at the start of the Classic 10K last week in New York, there's a certain exhilaration and excitement which builds within the moments leading up to the race.

In those moments leading up to the start of the race, part of me is wondering what in God's name am I doing waiting to put myself through such a grueling physical trek. My comfort level at the starting line is tied to my training preceding the race. With the Classic 10K race, I was very confident I could finish six miles, having run five miles competitively before.

I have never run thirteen miles before - ten miles is as far as I have run. June has not been a very good training month as I was hampered by a sore leg for most of the first half of the month. My determination will play a large role in my ability to finish this race.

There is a high probability I will be running the CMN Chocolate Miracle 5K run tomorrow in Hershey in the rain. I have raced in a light rain once and trained several times within the rain. I welcome the rain as it provides a natural cooling effect as you run.

No comments:

Post a Comment