Friday, June 5, 2009

Wonders of Modern Technology

Microsoft's answer to Google's search engine debuted recently @ bing.com. Using a two dimensional map located on the web site for the Classic 10K run in Middletown NY, I was able to simulate running the race using the bing.com web site and aerial photos of the entire route. I feel more at ease while I run if I have prior knowledge of the entire course. For this six mile (10K) race I will most likely commit the locations of mile markers three, four and five to memory.

It appears Middletown NY is similar to many towns across America. Relics from an era where the United States was a global manufacturing power seem to abound in the form of old buildings. Part of the race is run on Main street within the town. Lest I forget, Middletown's notoriety comes from the fact it was the boyhood town of 1972 and 1976 Olympic marathoner winner Frank Shorter. He currently lives in Colorado, but appears to enjoy making a celebrity appearance for this race. He is scheduled to be there this Sunday.

The aerial photo of the Middletown high school running track is outdated as the school recently upgraded their running track. I have been sidelined with an injury for some time now. I have a modest goal of coming in under one hour for this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment