Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Post Classic 10K Race Ruminations

I have to continually remind myself that I have been in large part physically dormant for quite some time and will require a substantial investment in time to become physically fit again.

A concern I had with running the Classic 10K race was my time was not going to be very good - attributable to my lack of training caused by my leg injury. However, I had to remind myself that I wanted to use this year as the year of 'marker' or baseline runs. Before I set out to run I set realistic a realistic goal of what my average pace would be. It was most important to me to finish the race without walking, which I was successfully able to do.

It requires a tremendous amount of personal discipline to not alter your predetermined pace when you are being passed by a person with an excess of 30% body fat, an elderly man in his upper 60's, or an eleven year old boy. One metric I noticed from the race yesterday is my 5K split was appreciably faster than those who finished around me. The translation is I ran the second half of the race much slower than my finishing counterparts.

My next race is a 5K this Saturday June 20th in Hershey PA. I do not anticipate setting another personal best for this race since I still have limited range of motion in my right leg which affects my stride lengths and consequently my speed.

I am toying with the idea of running the 1/2 marathon in Connecticut on June 28th. If I can get a fair amount of decent training sessions in between now and then I may be in a position to run the race yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment