Tuesday, June 2, 2009

May 09 Training - In Review

I ran 74.04 miles in total for May 2009. Of that total, competitive races constituted 14.28 miles, or about 19%. Looking at this from a slightly different perspective, I trained about 4.2 miles for every mile that I raced.

One interesting stat which surfaced using the heart rate monitoring component of my watch is my max heart rate peaked for the races. Typically when I train my max heart rate hovers within the 165 - 169 BPM range. During the last Balloon Chasers 5K run in Hershey my max heart rate topped off at 179 BPM.

In addition, I road biked five times during the month for a total of 45.13 miles. My longest bike ride was slightly in excess of 16 miles. I enjoy bike riding more than running, however I have yet to go over a max heart rate of 146 BPM while cycling.

Overall the month of May was a very good one for me. It's probably the most exercise I have completed in a month since my high school & college days. I never ran in college, basketball was my sport of choice at the time.

I have signed up for three races totaling 22 miles this month. Using the training to racing ratio from May, I anticipate completing about 90 miles of training runs this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment