Monday, May 11, 2009

Earned My First Running Medal



I awoke race day Saturday morning, May 9th, very tired and not energetic in the least. I like to wake up the morning of the day of the race with a desire to expend excess bundled energy. For whatever reason, I felt flat.

I enjoyed the five minute commute to the 4th annual Palmyra Run for the Children 5K race, although it did not allow for much contemplative thought. There was plenty of parking available. Per the race organizers there were about 150 racers, although I believe this estimate was a little high. The family slept in for this 8:00AM race starting time.

I decided to wear my headphones and listen to music for this race. These races are recreational and so I decided to enjoy myself as much as possible while running five kilometers. I am having difficulties with finding upbeat music for running. I train while listening to the same songs for quite some time now.

The weather was nice for the race. No wind and a temperature in the upper 50's. I was not sure the whole race how I was doing. I had tried to hold back for the first mile to save energy for the last mile. I ran within the middle pack - not good enough for the speed/lead pack but ahead of the Sunday runners.

Much to my surprise I had shattered my previous best of 26 minutes and 58 seconds by posting a time of 25 minutes and 41 seconds. I must have trained very well in the week between these two races.

I did not stay for the awards presentation after the race. My last race had nearly a dozen entrants in my age group. It appears this race I had a much more favorable bracket. I finished 2nd place in my age group and won a silver medal. The medal is probably worth $1.98 but it is a welcome race keepsake. I don't anticipate accumulating too many medals, but who knows. I would have to classify this medal as an 'I got my ass in the race and tried' medal.

I am looking forward to running the five miler in Lansdale, PA this Saturday. My son Dylan is entered in a fun run. He is supposed to be awarded a medal for finishing and a goodie grab bag. As much as I would like to set a goal time for this race, it will be quite a personal feat to run five miles. I just hope this old heap of bones and flesh doesn't break down.

Hatfield meats, a business local to Lansdale, is supposed to be at the race to provide free hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment