Monday, May 4, 2009

Mt Penn Winning 5k Results


I have to say I was pleased with my performance On Sunday May 3rd. I ran the 5K race in 26 minute 58 seconds. My trial 5K the week before was 27 minutes and 35 seconds. The adrenaline of the race and a miniscule amount of training yielded a 37 second lowering of my 5K PR (personal record) time.

The whole day went very smoothly. I did not forget anything. I have to give much credit to my wife for getting the kids and all their necessities ready for the trip. It rained on Sunday throughout the race, so the kids were confined to the car for the majority of the time watching movies on the portable DVD player.

I stretched properly before the race and did not have any post race ailments.

In terms of how I fared against others in my age group, let's say I have a long way to go before I would regard my speed as being competitive. I finished 51st out of 77 runners. My oldest son asked me why I didn't win a medal. I told him daddy's just starting out running and still runs like a cow. I have to practice more and maybe someday I'll run like a horse.

The rain during the race did not have any material impact on my ability to run. Since the rain was light, it was slightly refreshing to have the rain present for the run.

I ran five miles this morning before work in preparation for the Broad Street 5 mile run on May 16th in Lansdale PA. I had a really poor time of 50 minutes. I may be looking at a contest for last place for this next race. Most neophyte runners enter 5K's. A beginning runner tackling a five mile race is asking for a world of hurt.

My race bib number was 288.

Note: 146 more days to train for the Toronto Marathon in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment