Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Developing New Gears


From the time I first began to run in March until now, some two and a half months later, I had one speed within my running arsenal. This speed would have been regarded by most as a slow trot.

Just this past week I have developed another gear which is faster than my normal trot. I am beginning to feel more fluid in my running motion. Prior to this week, I felt like the tin man from the Wizard of OZ when I ran. My stride efforts were vary labored and downright not enjoyable. I have just begun to be able to enter into a cruise control mode on longer runs. As of now, a long run is five miles. Developing this cruise control running mode will be integral to finishing the half-marathon in Connecticut at the end of June.

I would eventually like to develop five speeds corresponding to each of the more prevalent distance races available to the running masses.

Marathon - Slowest (11:30 mile)
1/2 Marathon - Slow (10:30 mile)
10K - Medium pace (9:45 mile)
5K - Brisk pace (8:45 mile)
1 Mile - Fastest (7:30 mile)


Notes: My weight was down to 186.4 pounds after a 5 1/2 mile run today at the PHS track. This is a 25 pound weight loss since March 1st of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment