Thursday, May 7, 2009

Course Knowledge Race Bonus


This Saturday I will be running a race in the familiar confines of my hometown, Palmyra. In a nutshell, we run down approximately one mile on Hoffer Road, around the development named ' ' for another mile and then return down the same Hoffer road for the finishing mile.

A major psychological benefit with regards to being familiar with a course in its entirety is you are aware how to apportion your existing energy reserves over the distance remaining for the run. During my first race this year in Mt Penn, I had to wait until I had a visual of the finish line before I could decide where to attempt to begin a 'kick' for a strong finish.

This race will have more entrants than my first. I may have to contend with issues with other racers. I am waiting to be spat upon yet. Hopefully this an unfounded fear. I'll know as I begin to accumulate more races under my belt.

I feel very good about the prospect of bettering my 5K PR of 26 minutes and 58 seconds.

Notes: My weight has stabilized in the 194 lb range. I may be converting some fat to muscle at this juncture.

My 46th birthday is today. Going to take the family to the Chili's restaurant in Harrisburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment