Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Injury Bug Strikes Again


I will not be working out today or tomorrow as my right leg still has a limited range of motion. I was hoping I would awake today and all would be fine. While the leg does feel better, it is not ready to bear any substantial forces yet.

I am using a five pronged attack towards rehabilitating this leg as soon as possible. I am resting the leg. I am stretching as much as possible. I am also using BenGay and IcyHot topical ointments. In addition, I am self-massaging my leg to help the blood circulation in the area. Finally, I am eating a variety of nutrition bars in addition to my regular meals to ensure I am providing my body the nutrients necessary to expedite my body's self healing processes.

Today I drove to the the course where the Hershey Medical Center's CMN / UFC Ballon Chasers 5K will be run this Saturday May 30th. In short, the middle part of the course is a long uphill road run followed by a long downhill run down an adjacent paved path only a few yards away. I don't feel very confident about beating 25 minutes and 41 seconds for a new 5K personal record. I would like to finish under 25 minutes.

Since I may be running with a hitch in my stride this Saturday it could have the effect of forcing myself to to run the race in a more controlled and even paced manner. A race weakness I have suffered from so far with running 5K races is to run the first mile too quickly and consequently run out of gas around the 2.5 mile mark.

Notes: To qualify for the Boston Marathon for my age group I need to average eight minutes per mile for a total of 26 miles. My first goal in getting to this pace and duration is to run a 5K (3.1 mile race) at an eight minute per mile pace. By my calculations, this pace would result in a 5K time of 24 minutes and 48 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment