Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Iliopsoas syndrome




I rested on Saturday and Sunday after my ten mile run on Friday morning. After our family had my mother over for a very nice Memorial day cookout, I decided to change track running venues and run at the Annville Cleona high school.

I stretched briefly before running. As I began to jog for the first time on the track, my right leg felt like their was a numb tendon or muscle which precluded me from raising the leg up for a normal jogging pace. The pain emanated very high up on the front (anterior) of my leg. Using the diagram above as a reference, the pain originated at the illiopsoas.

Excerpted from http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/iliopsoas-tendonitis.php
Iliopsoas syndrome is caused by a sudden contraction of the iliopsoas muscle, which results in a rupture or tear of the muscle, usually at the point where the muscle and tendon connect.

Iliopsoas syndrome is a soft tissue injury of the iliopsoas muscle and therefore should be treated like any other soft tissue injury. Immediately following an injury, or at the onset of pain, the R.I.C.E.R. regime should be employed. This involves Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, and Referral to an appropriate professional for an accurate diagnosis.

It is critical that the R.I.C.E.R. regime be implemented for at least the first 48 to 72 hours. Doing this will give you the best possible chance of a complete and full recovery.

The next phase of treatment (after the first 48 to 72 hours) involves a number of physiotherapy techniques. The application of heat and massage is one of the most effective treatments for removing scar tissue and speeding up the healing process of the muscles and tendons.

Once most of the pain has been reduced, it is time to move onto the rehabilitation phase of your treatment. The main aim of this phase is to regain the strength, power, endurance and flexibility of the muscles and tendons that have been injured.

A thorough and correct warm up will help to prepare the muscles and tendons for any activity to come. Without a proper warm up the muscles and tendons will be tight and stiff. There will be limited blood flow to the hip area, which will result in a lack of oxygen and nutrients for the muscles. This is a sure-fire recipe for a muscle or tendon injury.



I need to add this stretch above to my pre-run stretching routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment