Friday, May 29, 2009

Body Heals Much Slower in Your 40's

It's been several days now and my leg still is causing issues. I tried to run a mile last night and had to stop after only a few steps as the force of my weight coming down on my left leg caused a very acute pain. I was able to bike several miles though. This did not go well either as I was three miles away from my house when I got a flat front tire on my bike. Since I did not have a portable air pump nor a spare tire, I rode the bike home with the flat tire.

If it were not for my entrance fee I paid and race T-Shirt I'll receive, I don't think I would race tomorrow. I most likely will have to change my running gait to minimize the pain I will be incurring as I run. Running uphill will be most difficult as it will stress and further aggravate my iliopsoas muscle.

I imagine when I eventually create a formal training plan for competitive events I enter I will need to build in contingencies to address the potential for periods of non-activity due to injuries.

I was entertaing the idea of running another 5K race on Sunday May 31st in Reading PA called the RiverPlaceRun. I do not anticipate being completely healed on Sunday, but would like to try and do back to back 5K races some weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment