Monday, March 8, 2010

Speed Work Out at High School

With the weather in the 50's for the first time in a long time, I decided to go to the local high school track and put my new Mizuno track spikes to the test.

I warmed up by running two miles around the track at a brisk pace. I then proceeded to lace up my new track spikes. Fortunately I was the only person on the track. These shoes have a picture of an eagle's wings on each foot. You better be able to run fast if you are going to wear these shoes.

The spikes on these sprinter shoes felt slightly longer than my other Mizuno middle distance spikes. The longer spikes yielded a better grip on the rubber track surface. It was amazing how fast I was running with these shoes for the first 50 yards. After running 50 yards I had to slow down to have any chance of running 800 meters (two laps) in a decent time.

If I recall correctly, there were indoor track meets this past December in the Washington D.C. area for old hacks such as myself. The race lengths were on the shorter side, from 55 meters to 3200 meters (about two miles). I would love to run in one of these meets this upcoming December.

Knock on wood - I have been remarkably injury free this year. I am nearing completing my 700th mile of running since I began running last March. This is a solid base for me to build upon this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment