Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Get the Lead Out 5K - Ready to Race

I have had excellent training runs for the last several weeks. I generally feel much better now than I have ever before. Running over 700 miles in a year will tend to get most anyone in shape.

My current personal record for five kilometers is 23 minutes and 11 seconds. This translates to an average pace per mile of seven minutes and twenty-eight seconds. I would like to eclipse the 23 minute mark this weekend. I should be close. The major determinant is achieving this goal will be the course itself. If the course is relatively flat, I feel confident I can set a new personal record. I could set a personal record with a hilly terrain, but it will be much more difficult.

The course is guaranteed to have a flat finish as the last quarter mile is run on the local high school track. The track surface is uniquely colored blue. The forecast for race day is sunny, although the morning start will potentially yield a chilly run.

The are two races to be run simultaneously, a five kilometer and a ten kilometer. My understanding is the 5K race turns off at the first left handed turn available while the ten kilometer races turns off later. I would like to start within the first couple of rows of runners for this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment