Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time to Get the Bike Out


April is on the doorstep and it is nearing the time to ride this year. Wondering which Harley Davidson motorcycle model I ride? Although many of my male peers have hogs, I am still pushing the pedals on my Trek bike.

My Trek model 4300 (circa 2001) is a mountain bike that I have modified for road use. I had the knobby tires taking off by the peeps at In Gear Cycling and Fitness in Hummelstown and a pair of white-walled Bontrager Comfort B road tires installed. I also had toe clips installed.

My knees have not been holding up very well on my long runs. I need to incorporate a different conditioning exercise which does not take as heavy as toll on my knees as running does. I am going to use my heart rate monitor to determine how much cycling taxes the heart. When I run, a slow jog equates to about 150 beats per minute whereas a faster pace yields a BPM close to 180. I imagine biking would result in a similar, maybe slightly less taxing, exertion on the heart.

As it stands now, I need to take two full days off to recuperate from a long run. It's my hope cycling will serve to strengthen my legs and provide some quality 'heart-shaping' activity between long runs. My first ride will be tonight around the northern perimeter of Palmyra.

No comments:

Post a Comment