Monday, March 23, 2009

Persistence, Persistence, Persistence

I sometimes lie in my bed at night and wonder to myself,"What the hell are you trying to do ? You crazed middle aged-fool." You question your motives for the goals you have set, how far away you are from realizing the goal, what further must I do to realize this goal, etc.

You only have so many memorable "defining" memories in life, such as getting married, having your children, buying a home etc.

From my personal experience, you get into a routine, which you perform day in and day out. No real highs, no real lows. Your life is being lived in an auto-pilot mode. It's important to step outside of this routine and set reasonable personal goals which require you to deviate from the 'ho-hum', cyclical and machine-like existence you may have carved for your life.

I would not equate this goal with having a child or getting married, but it will be an accomplishment I remember for the rest of my life. My friends and family will also remember this achievement for the rest of my life, because I will remind them frequently.

The most difficult part of the training is to be both patient the daily steps you are completing are getting you closer to your goal and to maintain your persistence or motivational level in an effort to continue your personal trek.

In the grand scheme of things, the seven months of arduous physical training will consume a small fraction of my lifetime. I'm hoping it will serve to propel myself to achieve similar conquests in the future - with my sons in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment