Thursday, March 19, 2009

Heart Rate Monitor - Day One

Still reeling from my three mile 'marker' run on Saturday, I ran 32 minutes around the track yesterday at the Palmyra Middle school. The plan was to run for 3 minutes, then walk for 1 minute, for a total of eight times.

My knees hurt so intensely I could not run at my normal stride due to the weight exerted on my knees while running. In order to get a workout in, I modified my stride to be a very short choppy stride. I probably looked like a very old man running.

The heart rate monitor revealed for the the majority of my training my heart rate was between 155 and 160 beats per minute. My resting heart rate is 70 BPM while my maximum is 182 BPM. This translates to running at a pace between 76% and 80% of my maximum heart rate.

Gauging by the effort I exerted yesterday to yield a 75% clip, I know I was over-exerting myself on the previous marker runs. I probably was closing in on 95% of my max heart rate.

My $32 Omron combinaton chest band heart rate transmitter and watch receiver worked very well. I am glad I did not spend hundreds more for all the other bells and whistles. The elastic band which houses the heart rate monitoring device was not irritating at all. In fact, I forgot I had it on several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment