Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Search for a Race

Being from Pennsylvania and of modest means, I want to stay as local as possible for a race. Also being in as poor shape as I am, I need to train for a fair amount of time before racing. My 45 years of age also adds some complexities.

An October 2009 (~ 7 months from now) 'ready to go' date seems to be reasonable for me. The Steamtown Marathon is located in Scranton PA and is on Sunday October 11th this year. It's billed as a fast, runner friendly course. There's a drop in elevation of 955 feet. There were 1573 finishers in 2008.

The Marine Corps Marathon is on October 25th this year. It's billed as the People's Marathon and the Marathon of the Monuments. Most of the race is in Washington D.C. Aside of the NY and Boston marathons, it's probably the most popular marathon in the country. Registration begins April 1st. Limited to first 30,000 runners. There were 18,219 finishers in 2008.

An $88 registration fee includes all race materials, bib, mock neck participant shirt, free virtual trainer, goodie bag, and timing tag with ten split locations, provided by ChronoTrack Timing Systems, Inc.

I am very concerned about the temperature in late October. I am not sure how my body would contend with 45 degree weather and a nearly 100 degree sweaty body.

I am leaning toward the Marine Corps Marathon now. I have a month to decide which marathon of the two I would like to pursue.

Of course, all of this is predicated on my ability to withstand the rigors of training. I may find myself downsizing to a half-marathon if my body requires.

Weight: 211 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment