Sunday, March 22, 2009

Running Socks - Cotton vs Synthetic

Next to the running shoe, the sock you wear is probably the most important comfort issue a runner needs to contend with on long runs. At the moment, a long run for me is anything over 15 minutes.

I have always worn cotton socks, as they are the most prevalently manufactured and readily available sock today. After reading about synthetic socks in a Runner's World magazine issue I decided to purchase a pair. Unfortunately, in order to purchase synthetic socks you have to go to a running store or order them online.

There are two basic styles of sock available today; crew socks, which partially cover your calves and anklets, or 'no-shows', which only cover the foot. I purchased anklets from two of the more popular sock manufacturers, Feetures and Balga at the Inside Track store in Harrisburg. The Balgas were the most comfortable of the two.

Running with cotton socks on the long runs had the effect of a mild skin irritation on the soles of my feet. The soles were red from the cotton rubbing back and forth over the soles of my feet.

I ran with the the Feetures for 35 minutes on Saturday afternoon. They were very comfortable and I did not having any skin irritation after the run. Synthetics socks also tout wicking moisture away from your feet, but I was not able to confirm this feature. My socks still felt moist and sweaty during the run.

At approximately $9.00 a pair, I do not anticipate accumulating a large inventory of synthetic socks.


Weight:205 pounds - Down six pounds since March 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment