Thursday, March 26, 2009

Support Networks

Tackling a goal such as this without the support of your family would make attaining the goal excruciatingly difficult. I have to give many thanks to my loving wife for understanding this is a twisted mid-life crisis issue and allowing me to pursue this personal bucket list item. She takes care of our children while I go off on my running jaunts.

My father and I are estranged as I haven't seen him but once in the last 10 years. He's from the old school where a son needs to be able to stand on his own (financially and emotionally) without help from daddy. It breeds independence, but does little for the father-son relationship.

As for my mother, her only comment was to make sure I had my life insurance premiums paid up. I assured her this will not be a concern, as I have them electronically deducted from our checking account every month.

Another support network which has evolved emanated from correspondence on the Facebook website. In the 25+ years we have been apart since high school, every one of my former classmates has a very interesting story to tell relating to their life experiences. Most of them are good stories, some of them are very sad.

While you yourself must resolutely believe in your conviction and ability to achieve your intended goal, it does help for those days or weeks when your commitment wanes to have people around you to prop you back up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment