Monday, March 16, 2009

State of the Union Address

For the last two weeks I have been attempting to evaluate my current running fitness level. I began with a baseline one-mile run, proceeded to a baseline two mile run, and finished with a 3 mile run from Hershey to Palmyra. I was training in addition to these 'marker' runs.

I completed the one mile run on the Palmyra track in 10 minutes and 12 seconds. While this is not a good time by any means, it is about where I expected to be. My goal is to get down to 7 minutes and change (about 45 seconds worth) for a one mile run. The temperature for this run was in the mid 40's.

The two mile run went reasonably well. I also ran this on the Palmyra track in low 40's temperature. I ran this in 21:25 minutes. This time is consistent with the one mile baseline run.

The three mile run from my workplace on Granada Ave in Hershey to my house in Palmyra was on a road (Rt 422), complete with hills and valleys. The temperature was in the upper 30's. As the comedian Larry the Cable Guy might say, "I broke down worse than a fat chick who missed the tour bus to a Ricky Martin concert." I ran / walked it in 39:27 minutes. I warmed up for 5 minutes, but neglected to stretch. I tried to run through a cramp in my left calf. It did not work.

In an effort to get these baseline times, I have been breaking a bevy of sound training fundamentals. The most aggregious violation was increasing my running milage by more than 10% per week. Failure to abide by this training rule will result in sore knees, groin pulls, and long muscular recovery times. Guilty, guilty, guilty.

Moving forward, I plan to use a heart rate monitor and a prescribed conditioning plan to employ a more structured, methodical routine to get in shape. Details will be forthcoming.

Other notes: I have lost 4 pounds in two weeks due to the increased physical activity and better diet. Four pounds equates to a half gallon of water - weight my heart does not have to support anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment