Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Running For Charity - Cancer Research

You need a tremendous amount of motivation to train for a full marathon. I have not been as dedicated to physical fitness in general since I remarried and started a family. My resting blood pressure has been measured at 200+ / 130. I need to get back in shape if I want to see both my 1 and 6 year old sons grow up.

Another motivator has emerged. I recently found out my mother-in-law has been diagnosed with lymphoma cancer.

I have known her for 8 years and she has been a godsend for me & my family. She's in stage 4 of the disease and may need bone marrow transplants to help boost her immune system.

I have not done very much charity work in my life, but I would like to use this opportunity of running a marathon to raise money for cancer. I am not very good at asking people for donations, but I would like to help my mother in law in any way I can to get her through this difficult time for all of our families.

I need to find an organization and then get 'official' donation request materials from them.

http://www.cancerresearch.org/Giving.aspx?id=286

Excerpted from emedicinehealth.com ...
The lymphatic system is part of the immune system. It consists of a network of vessels that carry a fluid called lymph, similar to the way that the network of blood vessels carry blood throughout the body. Lymph contains white blood cells called lymphocytes. Lymphocytes attack a variety of infectious agents as well as many cells in the precancerous stages of development.

No comments:

Post a Comment