Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cycling Heart Calisthenics


My knees not being in any shape to run after Sunday's 45 minute run, I decided to go for a bike ride yesterday. I live on the south side of town, but grew up on the north side of town, across the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks.

The north side of town consists of older buildings built before 1960 and is largely comprised of lower income housing. As a child I aspired to live in a better area as an adult. The ride through Palmyra's north side is a very nostalgic one for me.

One particularly interesting result of the bike ride was my personal BPM readings. I've listed the readings I have compiled while cross training with several different activities.

Exercise type - Min BPM to Max BPM

Indoor Recumbent Bike - 100 to 120 BPM
Outdoor Cycling - 115 to 140 BPM
Indoor Treadmill - 140 to 175 BPM
Outdoor Running - 150 to 180 BPM

In short, cycling does provide a welcome variation, but unfortunately it is no substitute for running.

There's only one other exercise I partake in where my BPM's reach 180+ and I must enlist the aid of my wife for a minute or two on special occasions for this exercise.

Swimming is beginning to appear an attractive alternative exercise - but I am not much of a swimmer nor do I have immediate access to a pooled facility.

Weight: 201 lbs (Dipped below 200lbs immediately after I ran on Sunday, but was not hydrated and had not eaten)

No comments:

Post a Comment