Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One Step Backwards, Two Steps Forward


After running for only a mile last Thursday, I could feel my knees beginning to become extremely sore and cut the run short. For nearly a month, I have been limited to running twice per week because it requires two full days after I run for my knees to recover enough where I can hobble through another workout.

I've decided to take two full weeks off from running in an effort to let my knees heal more thoroughly and begin to do some strength conditioning exercises dedicated to them. Standing squats are the easiest exercise to facilitate strengthening my knees with no impact stress to contend with.

I went for a seven mile bike ride on Sunday, which required about 45 minutes time. There are endurance cycling races which are 100 miles (a century) in length. You must be in awesome shape to achieve this feat. Maybe a bucket list item to tackle for next year ???

My planned respite from running will span from Thursday April 2nd through Friday April 17th. I then need to contain my exuberance and only run a mile or two when I resume my efforts or risk damaging my knees once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment