Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rome Not Built in a Day


One of the most difficult aspects of getting back in shape is having the patience for the journey toward your desired goal. The more ambitious the goal, typically the longer the journey and therefore the more patience required.

In my case I have just completed two full months of a remedial exercise program. Two months ago I was winded walking up two flights of stairs to get to my work cubicle. I purchased several running magazines and they routinely would have training programs listed within requiring the runner to begin with four miles in the first week of the 'x' month long program.

Yesterday I began logging my exercise activities using a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS enabled watch. All of my training will now be logged, via an upload from the watch, onto a website named MotionBased.com. It will give me a record of just how long it took for my Rome to be built.

My wife used it on one of her power walks. Once you upload the data, you get a Google map pictorial of the walk/run/ bike ride. Plus, if you wear the heart rate monitor, it records your heart's beats per minute throughout the whole activity. Even the weather (temperature & wind speed) gets saved with the activity data. Elevation changes in your route are recorded too.

Here are screen shots from the MotionBased website pertaining to a short bike ride I completed this week. (It was a windy day.)






















No comments:

Post a Comment