Friday, April 17, 2009

Maintain Your Pace in the Pack


Today while running at the Palmyra High School track there was another gentleman also in the midst of a training regimen, whose age I would venture was in the vicinity of mine.

He was undoubtedly in much better shape than I am now. I had a schedule of finishing seven sets of running three minutes followed by walking two minutes for a total of a thirty-five minute training session. If I were younger I probably would have tried to alter my training to keep up with this gentleman.

Being older and wiser (and much more out of shape) I did not deviate from the plan I had scheduled for today.

I have never been a long distance runner. In high school I was a sprinter. While I make every attempt to attain personal records, I have no illusions of winning any running races.

If you are someone who is motivated by beating other individuals it will be tough to pick up a new sport such as running. You have to maintain focus on your own personal development. Over time your achievements will stack up more favorable versus others abilities.

In training for this race, I need to determine what my pace will be (e.g. 10 minute miles - I forgot to go metric again - this is equivalent to 6.25 minutes per kilometer) and then maintain this pace in spite of all the adrenaline which will be flowing at the time.


New weight low: 193.8 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment