Monday, April 6, 2009

Tiered Levels of Existence


Many of us either currently have vices we are struggling to eliminate or have beaten vices. I am referring to smoking, drinking, inactivity, junk food, anything which detracts from your longevity on this fine planet.

The vice which I was addicted to for 10 years is commonly referred to as snuff. Copenhagen and Skoal are the most commonly known snuff brands. My brand of choice was Hawken, a very mild brand. A few years back I met a doctor who referred to Hawken as snuff for children and relayed he used to put Hawken with mayonnaise on a sandwich and eat it whole. He was originally from Tennessee and had since ceased tobacco use.

After a series of vicious coughing fits, usually in the middle of the night, I knew I had to change my ways or accept an oral or esophageal cancer in the future. Increasing tobacco prices did not play a role in my decision to quit.

I would refer to this level of my existence as a 'Sinking Ship' level of existence. For every day I was addicted to this vice I was aging more than the normal person. Lets say unscientifically, I was aging 1.5 days for every one 'normal person day'. In other words, in the 10 years I chewed snuff, my body probably aged nearly 15 years.

The next level of existence, or the 'Ship Righted' level, is characterized by a sense of accomplishment you have eliminated a major negative life alterator but remain resting in a dry dock. You have not yet determined how to permanently replace your negative habits with constructive, life enhancing rituals. If you do not progress to the next level in a timely fashion, there is a pronounced risk you will regress to the Sinking Ship level.

The highest level of existence or the 'Smooth Sailing' level is characterized by a lifestyle filled with activities which serve to both enhance the quality of your life as well as increase the probability you will live a longer life. You have eliminated your vices and have developed routines to both eat well and exercise regularly.

Adjusting my diet has been a difficult transition from the Ship Righted to the Smooth Sailing tier. My diet was woefully inadequate when it came to vegetable consumption. The vegetable I ate most frequently, corn, would not be found on most any dietician's top 20 list for most healthy vegetables. Neither would my second most frequently consumed vegetable, the potato. Green vegetables are listed as key ingredients to a healthy diet from a variety of sources. Nutritive supplements via vitamin pills or drink concoctions are poor facsimiles for real food. Broccoli appears to be one of the better vegetables choices for including with your diet.
"Broccoli has recently entered the public awareness as a preventive dietary agent. This study supports the emerging evidence that broccoli sprouts may be able to prevent cancer in humans, not just in lab animals," said Jed Fahey of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Adopting a perpetual yearning for ways to improve your diet in addition to keeping exercise fresh by engaging in as diverse as activity portfolio as possible will markedly increase your chances for leading a life where you are not afflicted by a malady of health conditions affecting your daily quality of life. I use the word 'chances' because the probability always exists you will need to contend with issues which emanate from a source other than natural causes.


Weight: 198 lbs - This was the first day where I woke up in the morning and weighed under 200 lbs. 190 pounds, here I come.




No comments:

Post a Comment