Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2011 - Big Race Planning

Every year I like to enter a race which is what I would refer to as a big race, i.e., a run with several thousand competitors. In 2009 I ran the New Haven CT Labor Day 20K (~2500 runners) and this year I ran the Beach to Beacon 10K in Portland Maine (~5500 runners). There are two races I am contemplating running in 2011.

The Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K is held in Richmond Virginia this year on Saturday April 2nd. Over 35,000 people ran this race this year. The course is a flat out and back course. It also features a corralled start where the faster runners are positioned before the slower ones at the starting area. I qualified for the third fastest wave - those who have finished a 10K in less than 47 minutes. I am leaning toward running this race. Registration opens for this race Wednesday December 1st.

The other race is the Toronto Half marathon on Sunday May 15th. This race is appealing because it could become part of a family trip. I had planned to run the ScotiaBank Toronto Waterfront half marathon in Toronto in 2009 but had to withdraw due to financial concerns. Niagara Falls is on the way to Toronto. I have never been to Niagara Falls.

From a running perspective I am much more comfortable with running the 10K race. From a bucket list perspective I have yet to complete a half marathon. I will most likely take a day off in April and run the Ukrops 10K race. The family vacation will most likely not consist of a race this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment