Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Night Running


I set out for my first night run of the season last night.  I don't mind running at night.  I carry a Life+Gear  flashlight / glow stick, sold at Home Depot. The flashlight/glow stick has about five modes (e,g, flashlight only, glow stick only) and handles very much like a baton while running.  It is very light, has replaceable batteries and is very easy to see at seven inches long.

It's been my experience depending upon reflective material for recognition at night is a hazardous affair. If a car's headlights do not 'square up' to your reflective material until you are but a few yards away, it leaves little time for a driver to react.  Add to the mix many people are on cell phones while they drive and you are now faced with an even more precarious situation.

The temperature last night was about 36 degrees F.  My lungs were not prepared for breathing in such cold air. My lungs hurt while running the first quarter mile.  After that I was fine.  I ran for 3.5 miles, which after running eight mile runs almost exclusively for the last month, felt like a walk in the park.

Life Gear Glowstick / Flashlight

No comments:

Post a Comment