Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stronger Heart for Hills

Last year was my first year of competitive running.  I use the word 'competitive' loosely because in many cases I was merely trying to finish races.  This year being able to go the distance has not been an issue.  My priority was to set personal goals and try to attain them at every distance from one mile to ten kilometers.

The personal record I am most proud of  was running one mile in under six minutes (5:57) at the Millersville mile run on May 23rd. I have to confess the course was conducive to setting a personal record.  Even so, it was a great personal accomplishment. 

The longer races such as the half marathon and marathon enjoy very large race fields and a substantial amount of press.  I have found that I could find one race a month in this area which is a one mile race.  While talking with another runner at the Millersville mile, he mentioned there is a Westminster Main Street mile in Maryland which has an even faster course. This past year it was held on Wednesday April 10th. Although the one mile races don't get as much press, it's probably the distance I am most comfortable running.

If you have ever driven a four-cylinder  vehicle you know how difficult it is for the engine to climb hills.  You have the accelerator floored and yet the vehicle does not respond.  In a similar fashion, I have a bear of a time with courses containing hills of any size.  I am not sure if my legs are not strong enough - or if my heart is the culprit. I would venture a guess I primarily need to strengthen my heart.

If I can train in 2011 with the intent of getting strong enough to tackle hills, all of my personal records should become better next year.  At my last race, the Give Thanks for Lebanon 5K, the hills I encountered were crippling.  Not because the hills were so challenging - but because I am not strong enough to traverse them effectively yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment