Friday, November 19, 2010

Give Thanks to Lebanon 5K

While perusing the upcoming races listing on the Runners World magazine website this week I found the Give Thanks to Lebanon 5K/10K race.   I believe I initially opted to not run this race because I could not find the prior year's race results online. I like to be able to show my son the towns and races I have run online via our computer.

This race will be run both  on the streets of the city of Lebanon and on a rails to trail path adjacent to the town.  The course is touted as flat and fast.  I have failed break 22 minutes for a 5K race (7:05 / mile pace) within my last two efforts.

Because I have been ill with a cold for a large part of this month I have only logged 15 miles of training in November.  As a result, my legs are as fresh as they have been for this calendar year.

I emailed the race director today regarding my registration because I entered online via Active.com.  In the course of our correspondence he informed me there are over 300 runners pre-registered for this race, I had visions of the field size being in the low to mid 100's.

As much as I would like to best my 21 minute 37 second 5K personal best tomorrow I am not sure this would be a realistic goal. I am going to set up my Garmin Forerunner GPS watch's virtual partner for a 22 minute 5K.  The virtual partner function keeps track of both my goal pace and my actual pace and provides instantaneous feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment