Friday, November 26, 2010

Palmyra Sticks and Biscuits 5K run results

I almost slept through this race, only awakening an hour before the 8:15 am race start.  I had arranged my running articles the evening before, thereby eliminating as much mental anguish as possible during the early morning's pre-race preparations.

Even though the temperature was hovering around the freezing mark, I decided to run the race in shorts.  To help combat the cold, I wore two technical T-shirts and a beanie.  I intended to wear gloves also, but I left them at home.  In retrospect, wearing cotton gloves may have been detrimental to keeping my hands warm.  The snow turned into a cold rain as the race started - this rain would have soaked my gloves.

I was keenly familiar with this race's topography, as this was my fourth race at this race location. The registration packet pickup was at the ice skating rink. To my chagrin, the race bibs were nothing but numbers on a white piece of paper. I display my race numbers in my office at work as a type of adult merit badge.  This race bib will catch no one's eye.

Last year's race drew over 300 runners and I expected as many this year.  Most everyone parked at the Klick Lewis Centre skating rink. I chose to park at a business across the street from the Paramount gymnastics building because it was close to the finish.  The KL center has a very large parking lot and  was more than sufficient for meeting the race's parking needs.

It was around 7:45am when I shed my warmup jacket and pants and began to warm up.  As I was removing my pants, I noticed snowflakes tumbling down past me.  I was going to be running in the snow with shorts on Thanksgiving day. A very strange combination. Fortunately there was no wind to speak of.  Were there a wind, I would have worn pants for fear of leg muscle cramping.

As I was running up and down the road in an effort to warm up I noticed a runner I had seen at several races in this area, most recently at the Give Thanks for Lebanon 5K/10k race. I introduced myself and he returned the favor. His name was Greg Underkoffler.  He mentioned he was a teacher and a former track coach.  We are in the the same age band of 40-49, although he is six years my junior.  He's your prototypical elite runner - weighing in at a svelte 150 pounds and very lean.  He was very personable and down to earth.

The largest band of runners I have seen at a race in Palmyra assembled at the starting line on Brandt road, near Reigle's airport.  The race director informed us over 600 runners would be competing in the Turkey Trot race.  I noticed a very large contingency of high school runners.  I made a mental note to begin the race at a measured pace,   If I attempted to hang with these kids at the beginning of the race, I was sure to suffer the consequence of crashing and burning at the end of the race.

After the bullhorn billowed "on your mark, get set, go" I found myself behind a throng of about eighty runners. Because I was focused on keeping a pace I could sustain, I let go of the imagery of my name being listed on the race results tally sheet as a disappointing 87th or so finisher.  The only thing I can control within any race is my pace.  If I become consumed  by where I am within a pack at a race and alter/increase my pace to correct my position, I ultimately and mercilessly run out of gas at the end of the race.  While I was somewhat dejected I was nowhere near the lead pack - I was content I was running at my planned pace  - as measured by my Garmin GPS watch.

Aside of a goofy turkey necklace handout at various places on the course, the race itself was uneventful.  If you received a turkey necklace you could use it as an entry into a post race raffle. This was well intended, but few running competitively were willing to stop and wait to be afforded a necklace.

I did not have any issues navigating through the runners.  I paced myself as effectively as I ever have, enabling myself to command enough energy for a small kick or sprint before the finish.

I finished 17th out of 85 runners in the men's 40-49 age group.  It was a very competitive age group.  A gentleman from Palmyra who has qualified for and run the Boston Marathon finished 9th in this age group.

This race marked the culmination of races I have run this year.  It was appropriate it was a Thanksgiving race because I am truly thankful for being able to run and help address my high blood pressure issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment