Monday, December 6, 2010

Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K Race training

I signed up for this race on the first day registration was opened on Wednesday December 1st.  I also ordered a training book titled Daniels' Running Formula.  The book is written by a well respected coach named Jack Daniels.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniels_(coach).  I have aspirations of using the principles outlined in this book as the basis for my training for the Ukrops 10K in April 2011.

The book provides several regimens for persons training from anything from an 800 meter race to a marathon.  After reading the entire book over two a two day period I was convinced I had skipped an essential element in my training to date.

Every program outlined in the book began with a six to eight week interval of easy running to build a solid foundation.  I have incorporated so many different types of training such as hill climbs, intervals and technique drills that I had neglected the fundamentals.

When you enter in the realm of advanced training techniques you are working with lactate thresholds and Vo2 max centric issues. The lactate threshold is the exercise intensity at which lactate starts to accumulate in the blood stream. VO2 max (aerobic capacity) is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual.

In short, the training route I chose was pushing the upper bounds of my fitness level at too great a frequency.  I was neglecting the baseline easy runs which help the body learn to adapt to running.  As a result I am going to dedicate all of December 2010 to easy runs of about four miles each.  I want to pay particular attention to maintaining good form throughout the runs.  When you run too aggressively, your form has a tendency to deteriorate as you tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment