Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Running in the Pennsylvania winter

I have never been fond of the cold and winds of winter.  I enjoy warm weather much more.  Training over the winter in Pennsylvania is very difficult and tests your resolve for running. I was able to train a fair amount last December, thirteen training runs totaling about  fifty five miles.  We had a very mild winter last year.

Running has increased my ability to withstand cold weather.  In and of itself, I can tolerate the cold.  What makes running extremely difficult in the winter is windy conditions.  Not only is it very difficult to run into the wind but gauging how much to wear is difficult.  Wearing too much clothing results may feel great initially as you embark on a run but as you lay the miles down you perspire excessively.  Couple the perspiration with the wind and it's not long until you will be adorning ice crystals.

I have found I need to wear both a jacket and pants which are made of a material (polyester) which not only deflects the winds but does not absorb perspiration.  I always wear a hat and gloves.  My concern with the gloves are the fingered variety do not protect as well as mittens when the temperatures reach the low 20's.  Wearing two long-sleeved technical shirts and a cotton t-shirt over them has proved to be sufficient for running with the temperatures in the low 30's this winter.

Because I have chosen to adopt a regimen of easy runs  this December in an effort to build a solid aerobic base, I have not had to concern myself with the cold air burning my lungs while running at an aggressive pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment