Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K Race Preview

I decided to see if I could find any You Tube videos relating to this race.   Much to my delight, I found a couple of video postings which documented the race.

I was a little apprehensive about having over 30,000 runners on a six mile stretch of road for a race.  However, in both videos it appears the corral system used by the race organizers has successfully alleviated congestion.  One of the videos had a race representative walking through the crowd at the starting area checking runner's bibs to make sure they were in the proper corral.

The course appeared pancake flat with a mid-run turnaround point.  In between the out road and the back road was a grassy area where band after band was set up playing music. Adorning each side of the street are houses with very interesting and unique architecture.

The time I would like to hit for this race is 45 minutes and 30 seconds.  My current PR is a pedestrian 46:56. I have 107 days of training until race day to get in shape.  To date  my winter training has been proceeding very well.

I am in phase one of a four phased program using the Daniels' Running Formula.  Phase one consists of building my endurance via easy runs. The weather has been very cold during my last several runs  - the wind chill temperatures have been in the teens. Fortunately i have not had to push myself very hard while running in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment