Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Workin' the Hills Tuesday

Per the half marathon schedule I have recently adopted, Tuesdays are now running hills day for the remaining months of my training schedule, August and September. I run on the north side of Palmyra, near the Northside Elementary school. I grew up on North Lincoln street at the base of a large hill. There are three adjacent streets which each have large hills. (Railroad, Chestnut, Lincoln)

Hills are extremely difficult to tackle for a new runner. Many races advertise their courses as flat and fast. I am very fortunate the half marathon I have chosen to run has no major hilly sections to contend with. From my experience, hills can be pace killers.

My simple race strategy for the half marathon will be to maintain a 9:10 per mile pace in order to break my 2 hour goal. Since this race is run in Canada, everything will be measured in meters. 13.1 miles equates to running 21.1 kilometers and I will need to average a pace of 5:41 per kilometer to finish under 2 hours. There will only be kilometer markings present on the race course.

Fortunately, my Garmin watch displays an average pace for a run in both miles and kilometers. Although I am not sure at the moment if I will have any issues with using the global positioning system part of my Garmin watch in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment