Wednesday, July 8, 2009

15th Annual Freshburst Five Miler in Lititz PA

The 15th Annual Freshburst Five Miler in Lititz PA begins on Saturday June 11th at 8:15 AM with a 5 mile run. I entered my eldest son Dylan into a kids race which begins at 9:15 AM. The kids race is segmented into age groups and will be approximately 30 yards for my son's 5-6 year old age group.

Each year a charity is selected for a donation from the proceeds of this race. This year's charity is the Clare House. Clare House is located in Lancaster PA and "serves homeless women and children by providing a temporary home in a caring environment."

I ran a total of 10 miles yesterday - a five mile run followed by runs of three miles and two miles. I ran from my house to the square in Annville and back. A majority of this run was on Route 422, a high traffic road. I was not nervous running on the side of this road, but if I were to get hit by a car for any reason I believe it would be viewed by many as an unsafe practice on my part.

One issue of concern was my post run blood pressure. As soon as I got home I took my blood pressure and found it had dropped to 97 / 58. I did not feel dizzy, however, I was extremely tired as could be expected after a run of this length.

I have run two five mile practice runs this week and completed each in about 51 minutes. I have raced a five miler once before this year - finishing with a 43:44 time or about an 8:45 average pace per mile. During the Classic 10K in Middletown NY I hit the five mile mark in about 47:30 as recorded by my Garmin Forerunner 305.

I would regard anything under 45 minutes as a good run on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment