Thursday, July 2, 2009

Current Health Appraisal

Nintendo's Wii fit video game is currently one of the most popular games combining the audio visual experience of a game with exercise coordinated with a bevy of activity types.

Once concept introduced by this game is the Wii Fitness Age, a numerical measure of your youthful vigor for specific activities. For example, if you can ski a course on the fitness board in a certain time you would be awarded a fitness level of a 24 year old.

As I am in my fourth month of training, it would be interesting to have some sort of numerical rating ascribed to both my beginning fitness level and my current level. For example, how has my lung capacity changed, my bone density, my flexibility, muscle mass, waist - calves and thighs measurements.

We may need to wait until the 22nd century to have a device capable of performing a full body scan and accumulate all the measurements above and generate some sort of automated wellness assessment score. I am sure United States Olympic level athletes have a battery of tests and measurements which contracted medical staff perform to assess their fitness stages, but it would be helpful to the lay-athlete to have access to these procedures and resulting information as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment