Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pre Race Conditioning Dilemna

With a couple of days before my next race, I am torn between resting in advance of a race or getting in a small workout or two before the race. I had no intentions of running today as I was still sore from my ten mile trek on Tuesday. It was such a beautiful day, sunny and no humidity, I felt compelled to run. I only ran for two miles.

Not being a young pup anymore I need time to recover from my prior training efforts as well as time to accumulate excess energy reserves to apply to my next training effort. My concern this week was if I were to take Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off I would feel like a slacker. The flip side of the coin is I would have been fully repaired and rejuvenated for this Saturday's race.

I remember from my last five mile race in Lansdale PA I nearly began walking at the 3.5 mile mark because I came out of the gates too quickly and needed to find a second wind to get to the finish line. Within every race I have run this year, I let my adrenaline get the best of me in the first mile. I need to find a way to manage this adrenaline for the first mile in an effort to not tail off so dramatically at the end of my races.

No comments:

Post a Comment