Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Miller's Mutual Mile Race Strategy

This race will have 1/4 mile splits which should contribute immensely in maintaining my predetermined pace throughout the entire race. I have committed the following split times to memory for this race.

1/4 mile split: 1:45
1/2 mile split 3:30
3/4 mile split 5:15
1 mile time 7:00

As I run past the first quarter mile split I will choose one of three courses of action depending upon my actual split time.

A) if I am slower(over) than my anticipated split time, I will need to pick up the pace.
b) if I am slightly faster than my anticipated split time, I will maintain my pace.
c) if I am more than 10 seconds faster(lower) than my anticipated split time, I need to slow down to conserve energy for the finish.

As I hit the 1/2 mile split I need to take my first 1/4 mile split time into account. If I was five seconds slower than anticipated on my first 1/4 mile split, I want to speed up slightly to only be five seconds slower in total on the 1/2 mile split. In other words, I should not try to make up the five seconds lost in the first 1/4 mile during the 2nd 1/4 mile. I need to perpetuate this strategy as I hit my 1/4 mile markers throughout the race.

The key to a good race tonight is to dial in to a comfortable fast pace quickly and maintain it from 1/4 mile to 1/4 mile split.

Way back in early March of this year when I began my training I was only able to run a mile in 10 minutes and 12 seconds. I have come a long way since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment