Monday, January 31, 2011

January 2011 Month End Review

In terms of running, this month was a difficult one. We had a fair amount of inclement weather, i.e. snowfall. However in terms of physical conditioning, January 2011 marked a milestone in my adult life. I have finally begun an exercise regimen which incorporates both aerobic and strength training components. The irony is it required a Nintendo Wii game console and an EA Sports Active version 2 exercise game to provide the motivation for initiating this regimen.

Last year during the month of January I ran sixteen times for a total of about 63 miles. This equates to an average run length of about four miles. This January I only ran ten times for a total of 61 miles. This equates to a average run length of a little over six miles. Since my next race will be a 6.2 miler (10K), I have become well acclimated to running that distance - albeit at a pace slower than race day pace.

Last January it appears I favored more of a 5K tempo run approach to my training. Of my sixteen runs, only two of them exceeded five miles. In contrast, seven of my ten runs exceeded five miles this January. One of the things I have read recently is that you need to have a solid base of long distance running (Lydiard?) before moving up the running training pyramid.

My long run for this past week was eight miles. I broke up the run into 4.5 mile and 3.5 mile segments. I stopped at my house for a minute between segments for fluid replenishment. I typically drink Gatorade but was out of stock. I drank orange juice. I don't believe the OJ was a hindrance on the second segment, but I did not get the energy boost I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment