Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jack Daniels' Cruise Intervals

     One main takeaway from the Jack Daniels' training book I am reading is the concept of lactic acid accumulation and your body's ability to clear or process the lactic acid.  I had often felt there was a pace during a training run or race that if I exceeded it, my body would soon be overcome by fatigue.  I didn't know the scientific basis for this sentiment, but it was a real phenomenon.

Cruise intervals are runs designed to acclimate your body to running with elevated levels of lactic acid.  The key is to run at a pace where your body can process the lactic acid to the degree the levels do not accumulate to a point where you become debilitated.  This pace is referred to as a threshold pace.

For my cruise interval workout today, I began by running 0.75 miles to warm up. After my muscles were warmed, I ran four sets of one mile intervals with a one minute rest between intervals. My magical threshold pace was on the order of 8 minutes per mile.   The temperature today was 32 degrees with no winds.  In the spring and summer this pace will moist likely be slightly faster.  I completed the workout with a six minute cool down run.

The threshold pace is sometimes described as comfortably hard pace.  In my case, it's a pace where I know I am running fast, but I am not laboring to maintain the pace.  During today's workout my first three mile intervals were run at a pace close to my target eight minute per mile pace.  I had to run the fourth mile interval at a much slower pace in order to not accumulate too great of a lactic acid buildup.

As is this case with much of my training, I ran too many miles of cruise intervals today.  I failed to read Jack Daniels' qualifier for this workout stating the total distance should be limited to 8% of my weekly total mileage.  He states if you are running twenty miles per week (which I am) you should only do one and a half miles of cruise intervals.  This would translate to running three sets of one half mile interval runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment