Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011 - My Breakout Year

Using the Jack Daniels running program has given my training the formal structure I have lacked since beginning running some two years ago. I have incorporated tempo runs, intervals, hill climbs, and fartlek running into my training in the past. What was lacking was a cohesive regimented structure to the training.

I have already noticed I have progressed to a new fitness tier. One thing I had skipped in my training was simple and easy long distance runs. By pushing myself too hard too frequently I was dancing on the wrong side of the aerobic / anaerobic fence too frequently.  The whole month of December was dedicated to long easy runs. My average run for that month was nearly six miles.  It wasn't too long ago I couldn't run six miles.

I feel more confident running now than ever.  I am beginning to feel like a bona fide runner.   I have had to rid myself of many years of internal rust via running.  I have accumulated about 1400 miles of running in the last two years. I feel my body is finally responding well to training.  I no longer have chicken legs - they are more muscular - comparable to a turkey's legs now. For so many months I felt like I was 'getting there' fitness-wise.  I didn't feel as fit as I wanted to feel.

 An interesting racing strategy I read recently was to set a split for where you want to be at the 2/3 mark of the race.  Then from there race with your heart or guts.   I think the logic is to run a structured race for the first two thirds of the race and then let everything go from there for the last third. I will most likely use this strategy first during the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K race in April.

I haven't set specific goals for 2011 yet, but I would like to break 21 minutes for a 5K.  Breaking the six minute barrier for the mile was my highlight of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment