Monday, January 10, 2011

Dehydration Strikes Again

After a two day rest I decided to do a long easy run last night, specifically Sunday evening. The sun sets now at 5:00 pm so I had to bring my orange light baton for the run.  The temperature was a bearable 29 degrees with a slight wind chill - somewhere on the order of 17 degrees accounting for the wind chill.

I had a most difficult time motivating myself for this run.  It's tough running six or seven miles for me in optimal conditions.  Factor in oppressively cold temperatures and winds and  an easy run is no longer easy. Part of me questions how effective a training session will be when you are running at a sub-par rate due to the elements.

I felt very strong for the first two or three miles of this workout.  Running was relatively easy.  However around the four mile mark I began to lose steam.  The last two miles of this seven mile run were very labored.  I pushed myself through it, in spite of feeling slightly light headed.  This run was designated an easy run, so I simply backed off the pace at the end of the run.

Much to my chagrin, after replenishing my fluid level with chocolate milk and Gatorade, I still had a hydration issue. My urine was a deep brown color again. It had been weeks since my last occurrence of this issue.  I will need to load up on fluids before my next long run because I do not want to carry a bottle of Gatorade in below freezing weather.

This was a very unwelcome incident.  I am having difficulty coming to the realization my body is not made for long distance running.  Ten kilometers may be my healthy upper limit for racing.  A half marathon and marathon are not feasible or reasonable race distances given my propensity for dehydrating so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment