Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Motivational Ebbs and Flows

There are many occasions where I am readying myself to embark on another training run and I ask myself "What am I doing ?" It would be much easier to lay on the couch and watch one more episode of ABC's Lost series I am catching up on. Why am I leaving the warm confines of my house to expose myself to temperatures below freezing ?

At this juncture, I am mentally and physiologically hard wired to run. Due to the extremely cold we have been experiencing recently, I have only been able to run four times in the last two weeks. These runs have been very enjoyable because I have had ample to time to recover between runs. I feel as though I am not in any way depleted from a prior run.

As best as I can describe, there's something inside which is driving me each week to climb higher up the mountain - currently my mountain is a sub 45 minute finish at the Ukrops Monument Ave 10K in Richmond Va. I believe most people have a desire to be good at something - whether it is making crafts, cooking, fixing things, etc. I really would like to be good at running. It hasn't been an easy trek to date, but I am making progress.

It's important to internalize a motivational force. If you rely solely on an external source for your motivation, your heart will not be into your efforts in the absence of this source.

I had the opportunity to meet the late Jack Lalane at a motivational speaking engagement at the Milton Hershey School in Pennsylvania some thirty years ago. He preached the three P's at that time ; pride, persistence, and passion. These elements provide a solid motivational foundation for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment