Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Aversion to Treadmill Running

This winter is proving to be one of the harsher winters in recent memory.  I believe we have had snow covering the ground for about a month.  Last night we received precipitation which resulted in a quarter inch sheet of ice which blanketed everything.  My car was completely enveloped in ice.

Ever increasingly I read about professional runners who incorporate treadmill running into their off-season or winter regimen.   I imagine if you are based in a state where the winter climate is too hazardous to venture outside for a run, then a treadmill would fall into the category of a necessity.

I am not sure of this origin of this sentiment, but I currently do not like to run on a treadmill.  Running on a treadmill feels very mechanical and is bereft of the sights and sounds of a run through real streets and neighborhoods.   I guess in a word I regard treadmill running as sterile.

When I began running in February of 2009, I initially opted to run on a treadmill because I did not want to be embarrassed in public due to my lack of confidence in my ability to complete a run without walking.

I may be guilty of a manifestation of excess testosterone with my treadmill running aversion.  I no longer have the fear of physically breaking down miles from my house.  In some regards, I feel like a modern day frontiersman navigating through God's wilderness when I run outdoors.  However, if this poor weather persists I may be forced to adjust my attitude regarding treadmill training.

No comments:

Post a Comment