Monday, February 14, 2011

Running Eyewear

I have worn eyeglasses for nearly forty years.  I am nearsighted, i.e. I can only see objects very close to me.  My eyesight is extremely poor without my glasses.  One of the items which was part of the convergence of several factors responsible for my recent discovery of running was improved contact lens technology. For years I had spurned wearing contact lenses because I suffered from my eyes incessantly drying out and consequently blinking profusely throughout the day in an effort to keep them moist.

Two years ago I began wearing contact lenses to facilitate running.  I have never attempted to run while wearing  eye glasses because of the jostling upon the bridge of my nose that I would need to endure. I recently had my eyes examined and was issued a new set of prescription contact lenses. They were the Acuvue OASYS brand of lenses.  They were slightly more expensive than my last prescription.  The additional cost was meritorious as  they are a very breathable and hence a more comfortable lens than my previous pair.  Once they are in I do not know I am wearing them.

In addition to new contact lenses, I purchased a new pair of sunglasses for running.  The gamut of sunglass types vary from the bargain store $9.95 variety to the likes of Rudy Project sunglasses for over $300.  I was able to find a nice value and performance blend with a brand named Tifosi.  One of the features of the Tifosi glasses are interchangeable lenses.  Another nice feature is the frames themselves are bendable.  They will not break or crack if you accidentally sit on them. Of course, these design considerations are immaterial if you lose your sunglasses.

Tifosi offered several different styles of sunglasses for a variety of purposes.  I ordered the Tyrant Carbon sunglasses (model T-VP420) which feature a small hole on the lens itself to facilitate airflow through the lens and reduce fogging during strenuous exercise.  The lenses are photo-chromatic, i.e. they lighten and darken according to the existing conditions.  The lenses are also polarized, which serves to significantly reduce the sun's glare at most all angles. I believe that lenses also protect against UVA and UVB rays.

I have completed a couple of runs with the new sunglasses and I am content with both the optics and fit.  On each of the days I ran with them, the sky was of the overcast and cloudy variety.  I may have a more glowing review after wearing them on a sunny day.  Note that these glasses are designed for persons with a narrow or small face.  They would  fit very tightly on a person with a larger face/head.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment